Friday, January 11, 2019

New Years Resolutions Opportunities

Because I’m a self-help goal-driven junkie, I subscribe to a lot of self-helpy things and my inbox is filled around this time of year with all kinds of New Year’s opportunities that I wanted to pass along. Goal-setting, Happiness, Running (or now, Walking), and Experiencing Life Fully are all things that I have a lot of passion around, so these all appeal to me:
Marelisa Fabrega has an amazing blog that I subscribe to and she's always full of ideas for bucket lists and ways to achieve goals. In this post she suggests a variety of ways to slice and dice New Year's resolutions.

I've been reading Gretchen Rubin's books and listening to her podcast about Happiness for years. Her Happiness Project book steps through a year-long happiness project and now she's created a course that provides structure, videos, and a community for people who want to experience a Happiness Project together.  Unfortunately, I waited to long to write this blog post because the course is now closed until next year, but you can always get the book and listen to the podcasts. This podcast talks about the idea of setting 19 goals for 2019.
I participated in Run the Edge last year and I'm doing it again this year. You need to walk or run an average of about 5.5 miles a day to have a total of around 2019 miles for the year. If you have a Fitbit or other device that tracks your steps, you can auto-sync it up and automatically get 'credit' for all the steps you take throughout the day. This has really kept me moving throughout the year! If you don't think you can do that many miles on your own, you can team up with others and together try and reach the 2019 miles. (I have Team Carpe Diem with my neighbor Bonnie, but there's room for two other people!
  • Liv: http://meetliv.com/
This is a community that's all about having fun and unique experiences.. You can get a membership and earn Liv coins in various ways which will allow you to participate in fun trips and events. I'm holding off getting a membership for now since I have too many other things going on, but I did join the #LivListChallenge for free, so maybe I'll win a membership and event.

More goals to consider!

I have my own set of 60 goals that I’m working on achieving in the 60 weeks leading up to my 60th birthday, but every day I hear about more cool events or experiences that I want to add to that list:

I'm going to see this when I'm visiting my sister in LA next week! I'm excited that I'll be with her because A) she's a professional photographer so we'll have good pictures to remember the experience and B) it's a lot easier to go outside in January at night in LA than it is in Boulder.  Plus, it's just fun to experience this with someone you love.
A couple of weeks ago, my friend, Adam, told me about an event put on by this group, and I saw they had a whole calendar of events and walks in the area! This is a walking group, but their purpose is not just to walk, but to connect! My word for 2019 is "connection" because I not only want to accomplish goals, but to connect with people at the same time. Perfect!
I went on one of the Walk2Connect walks (through the Boulder Ramblers Meetup group) and met two leaders from that group who had gone to Spain and walked the Camino SanTiago pilgrimage last year.  I'd heard about this, but never talked to anyone who had done it. It sounds wonderful! I don't know if I'll be able to do it this year, but it's on my list as something I want to consider!
I'm so jonesing to get out of the cold and to a warm-weather spot that I spontaneously bought airline tickets to Panama, based on an article in International Living about Panama. It's apparently the #1 retirement spot! But about two minutes later I cancelled the tickets because I didn't want to go alone when I have no idea what I'm doing.  I did see there were some upcoming conferences, though, so I'm strongly considering going to one of those to get my snowbird plan in action!

Carpe Diem Connections
Are you also a goal-setter and someone who's determined to live life fully?


No comments: