Sunday, March 10, 2019

Week 10: Wardrobe Cleanup

We're in Week 10 of my 60 until 60 count-down and the goal I accomplished (#47 on my list) was not very fun:

Clean out my wardrobe and get rid of old clothes that I never wear


You have to realize, this goal is following DisneyWorld, so.. obviously, not all goals are created equal. This was much more of a chore than a 'bucket list' kind of activity, but it has been something I've needed to do for a long time. 

I accomplished "Part 1" of this goal a couple of weeks ago when I cleaned out the spare closet in my bedroom. "Part 2" was cleaning out my main closet, my dresser, my shoes, and my downstairs coat closet! 
I didn't take a "before" picture, but, trust me, this is much more organized!

Second large load of clothes and shoes to donate
What worked well:

  • This wardrobe cleanup was way overdue. Many of my clothes were over 20 years old! I even found the very first suit I wore on my first day of work at IBM in 1982! 
  • It's hard to believe how even after clearing out so many clothes, my closet is still full! I obviously had way more than I needed.
  • I found a beautiful coat that I'd completely forgotten about!
  • I'm able to donate a lot of clothes that will hopefully find their way to someone who needs them.
  • This was the same week that Gretchen Rubin's new book about decluttering came out: Outer Order, Inner Calm.  And cleaner closets do create more inner calm!
  • I watched some Marie Condo videos that also helped 'prep' me for parting with my old clothes.

What could have been better:

  • I still kept a lot of clothes that I don't love or that look old because I need stuff to wear.
  • I still kept that business suit from 1982 for sentimental reasons. Also kept the dress I wore to my daughter's wedding and other fancy clothes that I'll probably never wear again, but I'm not ready to part with yet.
  • It kind of made me sad that I have a lot of nice work clothes that I may not get a chance to wear any more (which made me kind of bummed that that contract fell through.)
  • I need to buy myself some new clothes! 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, can't say that I got too excited about your week #10 goal. However, as a semi-sentimental person, I do have tee shirts from my high school days that still make pretty darned good rags!

TT...TYVM!