Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Happiness Happens: Having Good Listeners in My Life



A couple of months ago, I started learning more about Brain Health so I knew that "Socialization" is really important for a healthy brain.  But what exactly is it about socialization that's important? I've become quite social, but I'm single, which has proven to be bad for brain health.  

Being the inquisitive person I am, I've wanted to get to the bottom of this question: How exactly does socialization help our brains?

Well, a couple of articles I read this morning talked about the importance of having someone who will listen to you!

This article which was in my daily newsletter referenced a study that showed that having someone who listens to you can protect you against dementia. 

The article asks:

"Can you count on anyone to listen to you when you need to talk? Is there someone available to give you good advice about a problem? Is there someone available to you who shows you love and affection? Can you count on anyone to provide you with emotional support? Lastly, do you have as much contact as you would like with someone you feel close to, someone in whom you can trust and confide?"
Luckily, I have quite a few people who are wonderful listeners and who I think of when I answer 'yes' to all of these questions.

However, the one who stands out the most, especially since Covid began, is my sister, Michele.

So, after I read these articles this morning, I sent Michele a gratitude text, thanking her for her listening and empathy skills, saving me from dementia.




It turns out that Michele was in the midst of talking to a contractor, so the reply I got back was from my brother-in-law, Ray, letting me know that she was tied up, but would get back to me shortly.

It's rare that I chat with Ray, and this was the first time EVER that I got a text reply from Michele's phone from him. Some of the things I text to Michele are quite embarrassing (remember, she is my biggest confidante!).  How lucky that this time Ray read it, I was sending her this angelic gratitude text rather than an embarrassing whiny text.  

I followed it up with telling Ray I was grateful for him, too..  He might as well think I'm Mother Theresa, right?  And he sent me a sweet heart emoji. <3

When Michele called me back, we had one of our nice, long, deep conversations about health, death, and faith.  Nothing like some light chit-chat on my morning walk!  But, actually, I'm sure it's having someone who you can talk to honestly about these deep subjects that does feed our brain.

Our phones are so used to calling each other that we each have exchanged a series of butt calls with one another this week. 

I also want to give gratitude to two other highly empathetic listeners in my life: my daughter-in-law, Stella, and my good friend, Becky.   Though I have many other great listeners and people I love in my life, Michele, Stella, and Becky, model amazing listening and empathy skills and serve as great role models!  I love them and as an added bonus, they help keep my brain healthy!

7 comments:

Michele Hebrank said...

😍😍😍🥰 what a sweet acknowledgement! I think having a good listener is good for “heart health” too. Thank you for being one of mine

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Gracias, Hermana! Yes, just about everything that's good for the brain, is good for the heart, and, of course, good for our happiness, too! Yay for listening (and talking!)

Michael said...

Thanks for listening to me?

Michael said...

Ooops…
Make that a “!” not a “?”

iStellar said...

❤️ Our weekly chats are always a pleasure! Thanks for listening to and supporting me! ❤️

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Thanks, sweet hijastra! I love you!

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Michael! You're on my good listener list, too! And you're an ESPECIALLY good GIFT-GIVER! (I'm sure that's good for my brain, too!)