Saturday, November 13, 2021

Goddess Connection Games

 

I'm always on the lookout for new experiences, so when I saw an announcement for Goddess Connection Games on the Playa del Carmen Expat Girls Group, I decided to check it out!  Not only would this be an opportunity to do something new, but I'm always interested in meeting people and fostering connection.

Julia, the hostess and facilitator, had been through a transformation of sorts and is interested in helping women discover their talents.  Since I've toyed with the idea of hosting retreats, I was curious about the activities / games.

There were only 5 of us, and Julia admitted to being a little disappointed at the relatively low turnout. I know that feeling! But even with only 5 women, I found the afternoon interesting and enlightening.

The "games" were not really traditional games, but more sharing with one another.  For example, the first exercise was one where you paired up and one person spent three minutes telling the other all the things she loved about herself.  Then the other would reflect back what she heard.  

We all had the chance to partner with one another throughout the afternoon with various exercises that allowed us to open up and be vulnerable about our lives.

I think all the women who came to this event were people who like to try new things, were open-minded, and non-judgmental.  It makes sense because the description of the event would resonate with that personality type.

I felt a little out-of-place being the only "older" woman, a clear generation older than all the rest. However, I don't know if that's just my own insecurity. None of them seemed bothered by my age and they certainly treated me as an equal.  I really have to work on not worrying about age!

Really, overcoming our insecurities was sort of the theme of the whole event. We have to be free to be ourselves without fears.  I think age can help with that.  I have become less worried about what others think as I've gotten older..  but partly that's because I think I've become more invisible as I've gotten older.  There really isn't anyone I'm trying to impress anymore.  It's freeing but in some ways, I feel like I'm not even in the game.

In any case, the afternoon was an interesting exercise of discovery of others and self. 

No comments: