Monday, April 26, 2021

Spirit Home and Poetry Month

The other day, my post was about finding your "genius," and letting it "flow" through you.  I gave the example of my friend, Cathy, and the poem she wrote to go along with one of her paintings.

My friend, Becky, read the post and requested the full poem, so with Cathy's permission, here it is:


Spirit Home

By Cathy S Kerry ~ 4/15/21


Canyonlands (Needles) is my Spirit Home -
Where all the sticky ego thoughts
Are blown clean from my Soul - 
By the warm and gentle desert breeze,
By the clear cyan-colored summer sky,
Through which my Spirit soars pure and free,
Unfettered by all space and time -
The horizon stretching further than the eye can see.

This is my true home - my Spirit Home,
Where I have always belonged.

Nature was my first love, my true mother,
My first god -
Alone in the desert, I know I have come home.

Billions of shimmering diamond stars
Carpet the dark night sky
And blanket me with love
Whilst I sleep.

The burnt-orange desert rock
Of frozen sandcastles
Whispers to me of eons past -
Of my Anasazi ancestors,
Of ancient sea beds, frozen in time.

Upon the cool desert sandstone,
Under a blazing blue summer sky,
I lay my head to rest
In shadowy crevices
Of time-carved rock -
Caressed by the cool stone surface
Of this resting spot -
I pause in my long 9-mile,
Flip-flop journey - 
From camp to Druid Arch and back again.
It is on this pilgrimage I sense
The spirit world - as near to me as breath.

Trekking through sandy washes, past desert brush,
Crimson paintbrush, and yellow blooming cactus -
With only bright blue desert sky above
And cathedral sandcastles all around -
The air so quiet, still and calm,
I'd hear a bobcat sneeze from miles away.

Here, alone, in this majestic expanse
Of Needles, Canyonlands -
Here, and only here, I've found
My true, beloved, Spirit Home.

 

Bonus Poem from Cathy:

Flicker, Oh Flicker!
You clownish woodpecker!
Rat-a-tat-tat
On your metal post -
Just for the pure pleasure of the act -
The dopamine rush
Of woodpecker beak tapping metal.
Oh, how you love the sound
Of your new-found power -
Your Morse-code message to the World,
Your self-made drumbeats.           

Now, how about a challenge for you, my loyal reader!  April is National Poetry Month and there are a lot of resources to help your inner poet have a voice!

Though I have my hands full this month with other writing projects,  here are some posts from the past where I've dabbled in poetry myself.  Cathy inspires me to want to do more!

Come share a poem you've written or one that you especially like on the Carpe Diem Connections Facebook Group!

 

 

No comments: