Friday, April 16, 2021

Unpredictable April and A Mindset Shift

 I guess Mark Twain was quoted as saying something like, "If you don't like the weather now, just wait a few minutes."

Since I'm writing a daily blogpost this month about the Agile mindset, let me tell you that one of the big things that makes agile project management different than traditional project management is that it teaches us to embrace change.  We're not just talking acceptance here. We're talking embracing! Welcome it! Seize it! Be grateful for it!

Now the Colorado April weather is not really a great example of "change" because every year it's this mix of spring, summer, and winter.  Sure, you don't know what each day will bring, and definitely the weather "changes" from day-to-day, but the unpredictability itself is predictable.

I have been through enough Aprils here to know how excited I get about seeing my Spring flowers make their appearance. And then I know my irritation when they get snowed on.  I know the feeling of that beautiful April day when we finally dig out our warm-weather clothes and let our sun-deprived skin soak in those luscious rays.  We happily pack up the boots, hats, mittens, and scarves.. only to need to dig it all out again, bundle up and trudge out on the sloshy streets.

This year, like every other Colorado April, we have already had both hot and cold weather.  But this year, I was prepared to "embrace the change with positivity."

Knowing my typical frustration with my spring flowers getting snowed on, I made a point of bringing cut flowers in to enjoy.


I also bought an indoor orchid that I've been enjoying all winter, and especially today, National Orchid Day.


When the cold weather hit, I made some of my favorite cold weather comfort foods: sweet potato chili and roasted veggies and I allowed myself a soothing hot chocolate as a sweet treat.

I still went on my daily walk, with my favorite comfy winter gear and boots and enjoyed the gorgeous, sparkly Colorado scenery thinking how lucky I am to live in a place that is beautiful in any weather.  



As I was standing under a tree, taking this picture, and admiring the view, a big plop of snow fell on top of me.  But instead of getting irritated by "Snow" as I usually do, I just realized he was being "playful."

I admit, it's a lot easier to find the positive, when you know what to expect. Even if the weather changes, the forecast is pretty accurate.  It's also easier to have a good attitude about snowy weather when there's no need to deal with a commute or a cancelled flight or a power outage.

But if we get in the habit of finding the positive, we're much more prepared to deal with those unexpected frustrations or complications.  We keep adding little happiness hacks to our mental toolbox and figure out ways to cope with things that used to irritate us. 

As your mindset learns to "embrace change," it becomes almost like a creative game to find a happy solution to any unexpected challenge that crosses your path.  And as you tackle these little challenges, you build confidence and resilience. You realize that you have so much control of your mood simply in the way you're seeing things. Is the snowy weather an irritating frustration, an awe-inspiring scene, or an end-of-season chance to make snow angels? We have the choice of how we view it!

We can view every event we experience in multiple ways. We can both find a way to complain and a way to be grateful. We can say it was "bad luck" that we were in an accident or that it was "good luck" that we weren't hurt.

As I've written in the last two blog posts, we don't want to push aside negative emotions. However, I've heard our minds are wired to go first to the negative..  to worry.. to be afraid of what "might" happen.. to be irritated and frustrated.  We can train our minds to look for the positive instead.   

If we change our mindset and create a habit of gratitude and looking for the positive, we may discover hidden beauty in ourselves, in our friends, in our world, and even in an unexpected snowball falling from a tree.


1 comment:

BMW EXPORT CO UK said...

that is a lovely site like guest post SEO