Friday, March 28, 2008

Roller Doll Poetry

My daughter has recently joined the Denver Roller Dolls...that's a Roller Derby Team. She's kind of a girly girl, so I was surprised she wanted to do this, and even more surprised when she made the team. I never even knew she was intersted in skating! But I've learned that she pretty much accomplishes whatever she sets her mind to. Anyway, there is a poetry contest going on for Season Tickets to see the Dolls....here's my entry:

Part of Her World
(to the music of "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid")


Look at my girl
Isn't she neat?
Wouldn't you think her experiences complete?
Wouldn't you think she's the girl
The girl who's done everything?

Look at her world
Look what she's done
How many ways can she find to have fun?
Hearing about her you think
Sure, she's done everything

She's climbed mountains and skydived a-plenty
Her life's never a bit of a bore
You want adventure?
She's had many
But who cares?
No big deal
She wants more.....

She wants to be where the skaters are
She wants to check, wants to hip check big girls
Pushing and playing with - what do you call 'em?
Oh. Dolls!

Walking with shoes you don't get too far
Skates are required for soaring, jamming
Learning the best way to recover from - what's the word?
Falls

Out where they skate, out where they train
No she is not afraid of the pain
Fast and fear-free - she wants to be
Part of that world

What would I give if I could live watching my daughter?
What would I pay to spend a day up in the stands?
Bet'cha the fans all understand
That sometimes a girl gets slaughtered
Strong brave lasses off their a$$es
Ready to land

I'm ready to watch what the derby fans watch
Ask them my questions and get some answers
How do you score and when's the next - what's the word?
Bout?

How I would shout!
Wouldn't I love, love to cheer from the stands up above?
My Roller Baby
I long to see
That part of her world

No comments: