Sunday, September 18, 2016

Walk to Defeat ALS with Marble's Marvels

One thing that positive psychology teaches us is that part of happiness comes from giving and from having passion about a cause. The primary reason I became interested in positive psychology at all was because I was so inspired by friend, Craig Dunham, who lived fully and happily, despite ALS.

Every year I join the Walk to Defeat ALS and send out the emails to all my friends asking for their support. I always worry that they will feel "spammed"...  It feels awkward to ask for money or ask for anything at all. I don't want my friends to feel put on the spot.

But then I remember how hard it must be for those who have ALS who need to ask for help with everything..  I also remember that many of us feel happy to be asked and want to help. In fact, giving or helping others, again, is something that makes us happy. So I really can look at it as I'm giving my friends an opportunity to be happier. You're welcome! ;-) (Just kidding about that. I hate it when people say that "You're welcome!" thing when no one actually says 'Thank you'!)

Yesterday, I was able to walk with Scott Marble and his huge team of supporters in St. Paul. I feel very grateful for those friends who sent in donations, who've walked with me, and support me constantly in this cause. I know there are friends back home in Colorado that walk with me every year and I feel bad that I'll miss that tradition this year, but lucky that I made some new friends to walk with and support me here in the Twin Cities.


Progress is being made..  Thanks to all the donations in these past few years (especially with all the money raised from the Ice Bucket Challenge), a gene has been isolated and a cure is on the way.

Many thoughts and wishes for happiness go out to Scott Marble and his friends and family as he continues to fight for a cure.

1 comment:

Lisa M said...

I loved being able to share in your support of Scott and the fight against ALS. I'm one of the fortunate ones that hasn't been directly affected by anyone close to me, though I know others who have. This was a great opportunity to learn more about the disease and was so proud and inspired by the event.

Glad there are people like you in the world who care enough to have made the fundraising a success!