Friday, February 08, 2019

Week 6: Goal #4: Make bone-healthy recipe

I'm spending the 6th week of my 60-week birthday party back in Southern California with my sister, Michele. She and I have both been diagnosed with osteoporosis, so it was a perfect opportunity for me to work on Goal #4 of my 60 goals:

Research bone-healthy recipes and make dinner to share with other friends who are working on their bone strength

I got this cookbook for Christmas with recipes to help build bone strength and I choose Scallops with Orange Sauce as the recipe to make and share with Michele. See my photo 'demo' below:











What worked well:
  • I'd practiced this recipe a couple of weeks ago and had trouble getting the scallops to sear. This time went more smoothly (probably because Michele did the actual cooking of the scallops..) 
  • There weren't too many ingredients in this recipe and it was easy and fast to make.
  • It tasted delicious!
  • I'm learning the foods that help to build bones and I've been eating a lot more healthfully!
  • It's fun to cook and share a healthy meal together!
What could have been better:
  • The cookbook doesn't have any pictures and does not really explain how to cook the scallops well (both times I made this, there seemed to be a lot of excess liquid, but this time we spooned it out, and the scallops cooked up faster.)
  • It would be better if alcohol was not on the 'bad' list for bone strength. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Strengthen Your Bones” potluck Meetup when you get back?

Thank you...Thank you very much 🕺

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Great idea!

Michele Hebrank said...

REALLY nice pics of the cooking process! I think I'll look into Food Blogging Photography as a viable income???

m.

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Looking forward to your new venture into food blogging photography, Michele!