Monday, January 20, 2020

Week 55: Snowbirding in Mexico


One of my big goals from my list of 60 was to explore Snowbird locations. Last winter, after attending an International Living conference, I'd narrowed down my short list to Costa Rica, Mexico, and Florida and to spend time in each during the winter of 2020.

As luck would have it, I was invited to the January 18th destination wedding of the daughter of my BFF, Lisa, on the Mexican Riviera!

Lisa (mother-of-the-bride) and me at her daughter's destination wedding in Akumal

There's nothing as breathtakingly beautiful and romantic as a wedding on the beach. I felt so lucky to be able to share this special experience with my friend. (By the way, this is the second Akumal wedding I've had the pleasure of being at this season! My friend, Samar, also had a destination wedding here in September!) If you ever get a chance to experience this, I highly recommend it!




My almost-2-week stay at Conversa wrapped up with a beautiful wine and cheese party. I feel so good about the friendships I made at this special place.

Group photo at Wine & Cheese Party

My last meal at Conversa with my new sweet friend, Diane
On Thursday night, I headed from the San José, Costa Rica airport to Cancún, Mexico where I met up with Jeri, someone I'd met virtually on a Facebook Forum for single retired women. Jeri had met a woman on the plane, Lana, who was going to be biking through Mexico for the next few months! Jeri invited Lana to visit us in Akumal (on her bike ride between Cancún and Tulum). It was so interesting to learn more about both of these courageous women!  Jeri donated one of her kidneys to a stranger in 2018 and Lana has been riding her bike through many countries for years!

Two amazing women: Jeri and Lana
The condo I rented here is amazingly beautiful and only about $100/night. Splitting that with Jeri has made it even more affordable.  The weather has been sunny and warm and I keep marveling that it's January! There's no doubt that I feel healthier and more energetic in this warm climate!

That being said, I think Sarasota, Florida is the most likely choice for my "long-term snowbird spot". As much as I've loved Costa Rica and Mexico, it's hard to get around without a car, and I can barely manage driving in the states, so do not want to deal with driving in a foreign country.

Also walking and hiking is much more difficult and dangerous. Even though the places I've been staying are relatively safe from crime, there are a lot of wild dogs (at least in Costa Rica) and there are, of course, more scary things like snakes and iguanas and these animals that look like big rats..  

Off to the beach!

5 comments:

David Davies said...

Thank you for this. It's great to learn more about people and places through your wordcraft. Keep on, keeping on!

Catie said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing adventures with us! What beautiful memories you’re making and amazing people and places you’re experiencing in the land of sea, sun, sand and fun!! You are living the Snowbird life to the fullest I see! What a fabulous way to celebrate life and turning 60! 😍♥️🌈

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Great photos! Love it that your snowbird focus is narrowing as your experimentation continues!

T.Y...T.Y.V.M!

PS: Make sure you get a 2 bedroom place in Florida so your faithful blog followers can experiment at your experiment! 😉

My Carpe Diem Life said...

David: So fun to get your blog comment! I enjoy your "wordcraft"including the word, "wordcraft"!

Catie: Cathy! I miss you! We need to go to Ecuador together1

Anonymous: Thanks, as always, for your great comments. My plan is to stay with my friend, Becky, in Sarasota, but if you come to visit, we can maybe get a different AirBnB, or you might be able to rent a room from my friend, Bryan, who has a boat with two bedrooms and two bathrooms1

Anonymous said...

Took an inspirational cue from you...heading to Disney World in about 2 weeks!

T.Y...T.Y.V.M!