Sunday, November 01, 2020

Goodbye Beautiful October!

As everyone keeps saying, these are crazy times! Like the rest of the world, my emotions have been all over the map. Besides all of the stressful things going on in America, we had the worst fires Colorado has ever experienced, and I had some personal stresses this month as well...  friends and family who are suffering from major health problems and grief.  

With all this going on, it can be hard to stay positive. In fact, it can seem almost insensitive to be 'promoting' a Carpe Diem attitude, when so many people are suffering so much.  On the other hand, we only have control over our own minds and actions. Succumbing to depression doesn't help anyone.

I've been keeping a journal of "good things" and "not so good things" that happen each month and at the end of the month, I review and go through all the pictures I took over the month. When I had my end-of-October ritual, I recognized that despite those sad things that are out of my control, there were so many happy things that happened and that I'm so grateful for.

WALKtober

A highlight of my month was participating in WALKtober Bingo put on by Walk2Connect. Every morning, the talented leaders would fill our inboxes with a beautifully written post and prompt of how we could celebrate each day of "WALKtober."


Daily Hikes and Walks - Rediscovering 10,000+ Steps a Day

On October first, we were asked to set an intention for our WALKtober challenge and mine was to walk at least 10,000 steps each day. Since I did this every single day of 2019, I figured doing it in October should be a piece of cake.  It actually wasn't that easy! On days that the weather was bad, I didn't sleep well, or I just felt depressed, it was really hard for me to make the time to get out and walk.

But every single time, I felt better and happier, for getting out! I have to admit that a couple of years ago, when I had to give up running, I felt like walking was such a wimpy substitute..  it didn't feel like much of a workout. But I realize now that it's more beneficial for my mental health than running ever was for my physical health.

Being in nature... seeing the beautiful colors.. exploring new trails.. seeing the sun rise while breathing in the crisp early morning..  witnessing smiling neighbors, beautiful yard decorations, cute pets, and all the treasure of my neighborhood..  all of it is food for my soul. I realize that there is so much goodness and beauty in the world.. so much to be grateful for.

Enjoyed beautiful Fall colors!

Found new places to hike thanks to The Best Urban Hikes:Boulder by Darcy Kitching!

Snowy walks were appreciated, too! They helped get the fires under control!


Working with American Red Cross

This month I finally stopped procrastinating about doing the on-boarding training for ARC so that I could become an active volunteer. I am SO impressed with all the volunteers and hard work that goes into this organization!

As soon as I had the training finished, I was immediately put to work, helping get all the spreadsheets up to date for all those who had been evacuated from their homes because of the fires.  Though this isn't the most "exciting" job, I know that many people aren't comfortable with installing new apps and working with unfamiliar technology. I felt proud that I was quickly up and running and able to help in a way that was needed.

Joan Cernich has been in touch every day and I immediately felt part of a useful team.  I realized this is something I've been missing since I've stopped working at a traditional corporate job. Joan is amazing and is juggling communication and handling the logistics of all the work that's being done with the area's fires. On top of all of that she hosted volunteer (social distanced) get togethers at her home!

Joan Cernich hosts volunteer orientation

Carpe Diem Connections

This is the first time I've posted on this blog for months, but I've been quite active on my new site: CarpeDiemDay.com.  I've interviewed a guest each week for my new Carpe Diem Connection Podcast! It's been fun and exciting for me to meet, reconnect, and learn from all the people I've interviewed! I've also learned a lot about podcasting (but still have a lot more to learn!)

I also have been having fun with my Carpe Diem Connections Facebook group and love the pictures and posts people add as a result of my little prompts.

Socializing and Halloween

This month I was able to have some very welcomed 1:1 celebrations with friends! I really miss the Pre-Covid parties and traditional celebrations, but I also love having some individualized time with friends.

And Halloween turned out to be better than usual! Socially-distanced street parties and neighborhood displays with safe and creative way to deliver treats to the trick-or-treaters!

Costumed girl joyfully dancing while a band plays for the neighborhood

Trick-or-treating goes on in creative new ways!

Pasta Jays on Pearl Street on a sunny Halloween

And now we're into a new month and new adventure! I'm heading to Sarasota again to start snowbird season on November 3rd! 

No comments: