Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Sundays with Craig


I've been an advocate for ALS Awareness since losing my inspirational friend, Craig Dunham, to ALS in 2010. This year, rather than leading a local walk, I'm going to be volunteering and fundraising for the Napa Valley Ride to End ALS.

I'm also going to be doing a monologue about Craig and singing on stage on July 31! Craig's example of fearlessness inspires me daily.  

People with ALS live with so many huge challenges. I know Craig's inability to talk in his last 6 months of his life was so frustrating for him.  But, he was always finding ways to communicate.  That's what he did. He always found a way.

I'm SO lucky to be able to speak and to sing. I've always wanted to perform in a musical, but stage-fright and lack of confidence kept me from it.  Singing on stage is such a silly thing to be afraid of and in no way compares to the challenges that those with ALS face constantly.

But Craig's courage reminds me that if he can do SO much in spite of such huge challenges, then I can face my unfounded fears and sing,  I always imagine Craig reminding me not to waste any time fearing failure or embarrassment.   I know his spirit will be with me giving me confidence and cheering me on. 

No comments: