Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tumor Humor - Part 1

This morning I'm taking some sick time from work. This is kind of silly because I'm here, typing on my laptop, which is all that is really required for me to “work.” The most physically taxing part of my job is the energy required to get up and go to the bathroom. However, we get five sick days a year, and I can't remember ever taking one. I can work from home and I'm addicted to email. Even when I'm legitimately sick, I manage to check my email, just to make sure I'm not missing out on some late-breaking information. I want to keep up on any schedule changes for the Team Happy Hour, for example.


But yesterday, I went to work, despite the recent diagnosis. I tell my co-workers in an ominous, scary way that I have a “brain tumor” in order to solicit the most sympathy. People look at me in horror! “Oh my God! You will be in our prayers! What are you doing here?” I figure I might as well milk this sympathy for all its worth. “Yes.” I say in a brave, resolved voice. “God will see me through this!”


A pituitary gland tumor (or, if I'm drop the melodramatics, it's really just a growth, and not very big) is almost always benign and treatable. They can either remove it through the nose (a very unique booger) or maybe even treat it with drugs or radiation. I'll find out more today.


The exciting thing is that this can explain so much! Everyone blamed my dizziness on my blond highlights! And all that scatter-brain behavior? It all makes sense now! The pituitary gland controls all the hormones. As any female can attest, we have enough trouble with our hormones even when things are working normally! Apparently, my hormones are completely out of whack, and NO, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I'M PERI-MENAPAUSAL! AHHHHH! I'M GOING TO CRY IF ANYONE TRIES TO CONVINCE ME OF THAT!


1 comment:

Ann said...

Yvette

I am glad your prognosis looks positive and you will be in our prayers. I am sure it is a relief to understand what was causing your symptoms. My sister was diagnosed with a glioblastoma brain tumor last year which has a relatively bleak prognosis. It has been a year of fear, hope, anger and love. The crisis has brought our families closer together as our journey continues. Despite the difficult outlook, we have found ways to connect and cope with the support of family and friends we didn't even know we had. It has helped me value communities where you find support and love. There are so many people willing to extend a hand that has amazed me.

Your ever present positive outlook on life and enthusiastic spirit will carry you through. I hope that you continue to have good news. I am glad you are taking time out. Regardless of the situation, there is hope and caring everywhere. enough twaddle, time for me to get back to work.
Best, Ann