Sunday, June 13, 2021

My interview with the famous Baroness Susan Greenfield - Part 1

For the more professional blog post about the podcast episode with Baroness Susan Greenfield check out my CarpeDiemDay blog here.  This blog post is where I reveal the behind-the-scenes story of my interview with a woman who is changing the world.


I remember playing a family game once where I was asked the question, "Who is the most famous person you ever met?"  I answered "Ian Usher" which my family all said "didn't count" since he wasn't famous. (I just checked and he IS in Wikipedia. So there, Family!)

As of yesterday, I have an even better answer for that question: Baroness Susan Greenfield!

Other questions that I discuss often with people are these first three from the  36 questions intended to foster connection :

1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?

A1: I usually answer Oprah, but from now on my answer will be Baroness Susan Greenfield! ,  In preparing for our interview, I watched many of her lectures that are available on YouTube and I'd love to chat with her for hours on these fascinating topics of the brain! 

2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?

A2: I usually answer this: I'd like to be famous for playing a part in finding a cure for ALS. I know it's not realistic, but that's the type of fame I'd want and that's the type of fame I admire. 

Alzheimer's and ALS are two of the most tragic diseases imaginable. One robs you of your body and one robs you of your mind.  Dr. Susan Greenfield IS on the verge of finding a cure for Alzheimer's! Her work directly contributes to providing humanity with answers about the brain, leading to cures. 

In the interview with her, she said her company Neuro-Bio was maybe two years away from having a drug for the treatment of Alzheimer's available to the public! That type of achievement is absolutely incredible! That type of fame..  playing a primary role in putting an end to Alzheimer's.. that's bigger fame than anything! Bigger than the Queen or the President or Oprah and definitely bigger than any sport's celebrity or movie star or singer. I am in awe that I was able to get on her calendar!

3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?

A3: Yes. When you're about to talk to someone who is famous, highly intelligent, and on the very top of your "most admired" list, you want to make sure you make a good impression!  So yes, there was practice involved with this call with VIP Baroness Susan Greenfield!

Besides wanting to ask the best questions that would help podcast listeners, I wanted to show the proper level of respect. How does one address a Baroness? What's the proper etiquette in this type of situation?

Immediately following my introduction, the esteemed Baroness invited me to call her, "Susan." Her smile and warmth immediately put me at ease, and the podcast proceeded without a hitch.

We ended the interview with my question about what a meaningful life meant to her and she talked about "story."  Our lives are made up of stories. It IS what makes life so interesting.

So tune in tomorrow for the rest of the story of what I learned from my podcast interview with the famous Baroness Susan Greenfield!

No comments: