Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Would you rather be near-sighted or far-sighted?

 

This post is going to be short? Why? Because I can barely see.

I've been very challenged with my eyesight for the past few weeks while recovering from cataract surgeries.

I opted for the fancy UV Light-Adjustable Lenses. I have to wear special glasses to keep any UV light out of my eyes and it's been very stressful. Even a second without the glasses could affect my eyes.  I even have to wear them to sleep because any sun seeping through my window in the morning when I first wake up might cause a problem.

The glasses, though tiring to wear all the time, are not bad. It's more the fear of accidentally taking them off without thinking that's causing me the most anxiety.  

The other big problem has been my lack of near vision. I'm so used to reading my phone and computer, but now those things are a blur unless I wear readers on top of the UV protective glasses.

The doctor reassured me that after the first UV treatment, I'd have relief from this issue, so I was counting the hours until my UV treatment.  I envisioned myself walking out of the doctor's office with fully functional eyes again.

No such luck. 48 hours later, I was panicked that the treatment wasn't working since I didn't see any improvement in my near vision.  I went back to the doctor and was told that it turns out my left eye (which is adjusted for far sight) is extremely dominant. 

The doctor said my brain might adjust over time, and in the past 12 hours I have seen some improvement, which is a relief.   I'm still hoping that with further adjustments I might be able to see both near and far without glasses.  However, that's looking less likely.

It's seeming more probable that I will have to make a decision of either having poor near vision (and have to wear glasses all the time) or poor far vision (and wear glasses when I drive.)

I told the doctor, I'd much rather go back to having good near vision.  Readers give me a headache and do not give me good vision unless I look at a certain angle or hold my phone/book/computer at just the right distance. 

But having far vision is a benefit I'm enjoying now that I realize I'll probably have to give up in order to achieve the good near vision I used to take for granted. I love being able to see clearly in the distance whenever I step outside. I can read signs now without glasses and the subtitles on TV. 

Hopefully, my near vision will keep improving.   I guess the worst case scenario is that I'll have to wear glasses all the time when this is all over which wouldn't be the end of the world.  It's just a big disappointment when I'd been so excited about having super-vision.

Well.. never fear.  Mr. Magoo didn't stop driving just because he couldn't see and Super Carpe Diem Woman will not give up either! Near or far vision, I vow to keep blogging until I earn my $100 from Google AdSense..  45 cents more to go!




No comments: