Saturday, January 01, 2022

Gratitude for John

On New Years, one of my traditions is to write Gratitude letters.

This year, I have such a massive feeling of gratitude that I decided to go public.


I blogged once before about my housemate, John, but he’s private and humble, so I rarely blog or write about him.  However, without him, I wouldn’t have my beautiful house.


Nine years ago, when Scotty went off to college, I’d planned to downsize because I wouldn’t be able to afford the mortgage without child support. Still, I loved my house, so on a whim, I put an ad in roommates.com.  John was the first person who looked at the place. He measured the garage to make sure his truck would fit, and promptly said he’d take it!


That was the day I struck gold.


When Scotty came home for winter break that first year, I told him:


“Scotty, it’s AMAZING having John here. He’s clean, he helps me, and he even pays me!”

Scotty laughed and said: “Just the opposite of me, eh, Mom!”


I have thought about moving to a warmer weather place, but I’ve always said, as long as John wants to live in my house, I’ll stay. I love my Superior home (I’m not being snobby, by the way. The town is named Superior.) 


John putting up Christmas lights!

While I wouldn’t use the adjective “superior” to describe it, I would say that it’s “perfect” thanks to John. He always works so hard in the yard keeping it beautiful and well-maintained.  I can’t tell you how many times I sit out in my backyard, just marveling at the beauty and my luck at having John as a housemate.


John mowing my lawn (as I lazily sit in my hammock swing.)


John’s house maintenance isn’t just about the yard. He keeps the whole house clean and safe. I have to own up to my own negligence with the smoke detectors (it is very hard for a short person to change the battery in those annoying chirpers!) But John usually changes those batteries before they even chirp. And in the rare times they do chirp, HE’s the one that gets up in the middle of the night to change the battery. (This may be partly because I completely ignore the chirps.)


John does so much maintenance around my house, that most people assume he’s the home-owner.  When neighbors need help, he’s the one they call. I fully admit, he’s so much better at any kind of work than I am. If he weren’t around, my house would probably look like a run-down, broken old shack.


John shoveling snow from my driveway


But my gratitude for John extends beyond home maintenance. He protects the house. His personality is one that epitomizes a sense of strength, confidence, and security - it’s no wonder he was promoted to Louisville’s Fire Chief.


I always feel safe when he’s around and I can easily travel, knowing my house is so well protected.  It was even a little joke for me to say, “I never have to worry about my house burning down as long as John is around.”


A couple of days ago, I saw an email informing everyone that there was a fire near Target and asking all Superior residents to evacuate. (I guess the Inferior ones could stay.. Haha.. I have to throw in those “Superior/Inferior” jokes whenever I can.)


John called me twice..  The first time he told me that it was looking bad and I might lose the house. I could tell from his tone that things were serious.  The fires were burning very close to my neighborhood and if the wind blew the wrong way, that would be the end. A couple of hours later, he called again, this time with the news that the house was still standing and he was cautiously optimistic.


I know the firefighters were dealing with 100+mph winds and impossible challenges. I can’t imagine how frustrated they must have felt, seeing these homes burn in their own neighborhoods. It would be like doctors operating on family members and having to watch as some of them died.


I know that my house could have burned to the ground like so many others despite all the firefighters’ best efforts. But it absolutely would have burnt to the ground if those firefighters hadn’t been working diligently through the night, stopping the spread the best they could.


My heart aches for the people who lost their homes, but it is overwhelmed with gratitude for the firefighters and especially, John.


John, you are a hero. I'll never have the words to be able to thank you enough.


No comments: