Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Fruity Thoughts: You can't force love


Today I'm going to talk about something I don't love: fruit.

Now, I know you're probably thinking, "Who doesn't love fruit? It's so juicy and sweet!" Well, guess what? We can't help what we love and what we don't. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

But since I know fruit is good for the health and I'm supposed to eat so many servings per day, with great resolve, I loaded my grocery basket with fruit last weekend. This has been something I've been meaning to do for months and I finally did it. This was going to be the month I would learn to love fruit.

Monday night I served Scotty lasagna, but none of that for me. No siree. I fixed myself a big bowl of mixed fresh fruit. I could just feel all those fruity vitamins surging through my body. Good for me!

About 9pm that night, both Scotty and I were perched over the toilet in our respective bathrooms, losing our dinner. Since we ate different things, I don't think we can blame the food, but let me tell you, as much as I don't like fruit, it tastes a lot better going down than it does coming up.

Now I look at all that fruit in the refrigerator and view it as the enemy. Fruit, why did you betray me? I choose you because you were supposed to be all "yummy" and "healthy" and you rejected me! Now I'd expect this type of behavior from cake or candy or cookies or many of the other unhealthy snacks that are constantly luring me to eat them. But no. I have to get sick after eating the stuff that's good for me.

So, if I have to come up with a "love lesson" for all this, I guess it's that we can't force ourselves to love something or someone, just because we know it would be good for us. We can try, but we might end up barfing our guts out. That being said, I'm all about being healthy, and pigging out on stuff that's bad for us, even if we love it, isn't such a great idea either. So what do we do?

I don't know about you, but since it's Cinco-de-Mayo, I think I'll go find myself some chips and guacamole and get my serving of fruit from a strawberry margarita.

1 comment:

Rebecca S. Mullen said...

You're a fruit! Sure hope you're feeling better.

I think it's true that there are things in life, no matter how appealing to the general population, that we just can't force ourselves to like or love...no use trying.