Thursday, August 29, 2019

It's Like Rain On Your Wedding Day

My son and his bride had rain on their wedding day and it was extremely romantic.  Of course, we were dry and in a gorgeous venue, but still, rain on your wedding day is not so bad! It’s just rain!

Have you ever really listened to the lyrics of that Alanis Morissette song, Ironic?   I’ve always thought it a little inconsistent that she compares rain on your wedding day to getting into a plane crash! And really, it’s not so bad to have 10,000 spoons instead of a knife. Just eat the damn steak with your hands, cave-man style! I’m not very tolerant of whiners about insignificant happenings! (The guy getting in the plane crash? He can whine!)

But I get it…  Life happens and it’s not always fair. 

It’s like ten thousand steps that just get you lost
And your bones just get weaker
So you’d rather get sauced…

Yes, people, this is me, Super-Carpe-Diem-Woman, taking a break from my regularly scheduled healthy, happy, habits to, instead, drink high doses of sugary sweet Bailey’s Irish Cream and bask in a personal pity party. Despite a year of obsessively trying to improve my bone density, results from my latest Dexascan are in and show the biggest decreases yet. 

I’m happy to report that despite this highly disappointing news, I still walked more than 10,000 steps today. Not only that, I’m also happily wallowing in self-pity by drinking high quantities of my favorite alcohol, which is undoubtedly thousands of calories.

Sugar and alcohol are bad for my bones, but TAKE THAT, you stupid bones!  Note that I really wanted to say something much more profane to my bones, but I’m not drunk enough to publicly defame my bones. They do, after all, hold me together.  This is about as rebellious as I get.

That being said, I am Sooooooo disappointed in my bones. Come on, guys! Toughen up!

I’m used to doing all the things I’m supposed to do and getting the intended rewards. I study and get good grades. I work hard and get promoted. I act nice and people like me. I do “weight bearing exercises” and I get strong bones.. (do you HEAR THAT, BONES? That’s what’s SUPPOSED to happen!)

When we do the things we’re supposed to do and we don’t get the rewards, it really sucks. 

We do a good job, but we still get laid off. We study, but we still don’t pass. We’re a faithful spouse, but our partner cheats, we lay off sugar, but we still gain weight..  It’s just not fair! (I’m working on the lyrics for a whole new song for Alanis…) Also, please note, I’m speaking a bit rhetorically. Thankfully, not all these things have happened to me, but I know they do happen.

I’m used to doing what I’m supposed to do. (I am an “Upholder”after all).  Usually doing what I’m supposed to do works well, but this time it didn’t. 

There have been other times that I’ve done all the things I’m “supposed to do” and still “failed.” Three of my four pregnancies were unexpected! One resulted in a miscarriage. I have been laid off (3 times!) despite doing awesome work.  I’ve had my heart broken despite loving my partner. I’ve had to stop mid-piano-piece in the middle of a recital due to stage fright. I have farted unexpectedly at a very inconvenient time. Things have not always worked out as they were supposed to despite the best laid plans. But usually those unexpected disappointments result in growth, learning, or even unexpected happiness.

And my 'disappointments' are nothing compared to what my friends, Craig and Steph had to go through with ALS. They were very active people with healthy habits when they got an ALS diagnosis. All I have to do when I start having one of these pity parties of mine is to think about them and realize how lucky I have it. 

So, yes, I’m feeling a little down tonight that my bones have failed me. But I’m so grateful for all the wonderful blessings I have.  All the times I’ve been luckier than I deserve. The times I’ve screwed up, but still come out ahead. Mistakes I’ve made driving, yet never had an accident. Bosses and staff who gave me so much credit for jobs that I loved and were easy for me. Children who were healthy. Awesome housemates! Friends and family who love and support me. In the game of life, I’ve had many more unexpected rewards than disappointments. And I’ve lived through the disappointments, coming out stronger on the other side.

And let's not forget that despite those test results, I look and feel amazingly healthy! 

It's like feeling great, when your bones are a mess.
It's when you know you're strong, in spite of the tests.
Isn't it ironic?
Don't you think?

2 comments:

GeoSwa said...

I love Rain, nurtures all living creatures, and it will just totally ruin fresh makeup! But rain can wash away the grit and grime as much as it can cause the grime to pool in a spot. Yvette, you will rock til you drop, you are inspiration to many. Infectious positive spirt, it’s a ok to have self pity every now and then. Enjoy a some lively libations. It’s ok to be scared, but we saddle up and ride anyway. I look forward to a hike!

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Thank you, George! I'm always up for a hike, rain or shine!