Monday, August 26, 2019

Week 34: Pickleball

Pickleball seems to be all the rage (at least with my age group) these days, so Goal #6 on my 60 until 60 list was to give it a try.

I ran into some people at a party who were saying they were newbies and invited me to join them, so not only did I get to try it out, I made some new friends!


What worked well

  • Fun that I was able to meet some new friends who were willing to loan me equipment and let me try pickleball out!
  • I won my first game!
  • Pickleball is a lot like tennis and ping-pong, both sports I like, so I should be able to learn it easily.
  • Beautiful weather to give it a try.
  • Lots of pickleball courts available.
  • Seems a lot easier than tennis, and probably a better alternative because of my back problems.
What could have been better
  • I've been so busy that I didn't have time for lessons or to play more than this one time. Looking forward to playing more and I'll start earlier in the season next year!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever think about going “against your own grain” and forcing yourself to be less busy, thereby having more time to savor your endeavors? (You would have had for a pickle ball lesson.)

TY...TYVM

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Well, "Anonymous," I know you don't go back and read any follow-up comments, but I'll go ahead and answer this question. I learned once in a time management class that saying, 'I don't have time' or that 'I'm too busy' is really just another way to say, 'This isn't a priority for me.'

I really wasn't 'too busy' to take lessons. It's just that there are a lot of other fun things that are taking priority this year. I wanted to try pickle ball to get a taste of it, but I didn't love it enough to want to push down the other things I want to do further down on my priority list (including relaxing and enjoying a sunny day on a patio!)