Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Week 60: Final Week of My 50's and My Next Project

This final week of my 60 until 60 project has been a big one, spent entirely with Scotty, my youngest kid.  We've been road-tripping from Colorado to Florida's gulf coast, with a stop in New Orleans to enjoy a Mardi Gras parade and a 4-day cruise to Cozumel in between.

Tomorrow morning, we'll pick up my other son, Matt, and his wife, Stella, who arrive at 6am at the Tampa airport, and I'll have 3 more days of celebrating with them! What a perfect start to my 60th birthday and Florida adventures!

I started my project as kind of an experiment in living my "Carpe Diem" motto. I thought.. If I only had 60 more weeks to live, how would I want to spend them? I wanted to maximize time spent with people I loved, see new places, learn new things, and do things that would make me happy. I've been very intentional throughout the year, as I executed my goals, to think about what made me happy and why.

I also thought a lot about the times when I was unhappy, recognizing that unhappiness is part of life, but that rather than be a victim during those times, we can treat them as a challenge, and a chance to learn, grow, become resilient, and cherish the happy times even more.

There were a lot of learnings throughout the year, but one thing is clear. What I value most is something that is free: loving relationships. I'd been nervous that since I'm single and my kids are grown that my retirement years might be very lonely. But I haven't been lonely at all! This last 60-weeks has probably been the happiest, least lonely, time of my life.

A lot of people have asked me, 'what's next'?  One thing I've learned about me is that I like having a project of some sort...  The 60-until-60 project (with its 60 goals) has given me purpose and structure..  something else I've learned that I like!  I'll keep working on my never-ending list of goals (I have enough to keep me busy for many lifetimes), but I think the big one that I will focus on next is:

Create a Special Holiday: Carpe Diem Day - May 30

More about that as well as my "Single Snowbird Adventures" in weeks to come!

Goodbye to my fifties! Sixties, here I come!

9 comments:

Jeri said...

Turns out, my good friend, Ava, was on the snow cruise! I didn’t know until she got back. I know you’re having a wonderful time and even more so in the coming days. Have a wonderful 60th birthday tomorrow and I look forward to catching up with you later. I’m still recovering from the crud that seems to return every time leave the house, and it has triggered a POTS flare. I’ve spent many days between the bed and recliner. Enjoy your family! HAPPY 60TH BIRTHDAY!! 🎂

Jeri said...

*same cruise

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Hi Jeri! Meeting you through the Facebook forum and enjoying our time in Mexico was such a fun part of my "60-week-party"! Thank you for taking the risk to join me, even though you didn't know me! I hope you feel better soon and I'll look forward to catching up with you on my "52-week 61rst birthday party!"

Michael said...

Carpe Diem Day on May 30th? That must have some kind of significance, right?
I still think that rather than reminding people to seize one single day (May 30th) every single day should be painted on a "Carpe Diem" canvas of some sort.

Michael said...

Oops! Hit the wrong button...

For the last time, and in honor of your 60th Birthday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjh1ryvBZBo

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Michael! You're not even Anonymous on this final comment of my 60 project! Nice! And thanks for the multi-media version of TY... TYVM...!

Yes, May 30th is significant for many reasons, but just like we should remember Veterans every day (not just on Veteran's Day) and Mothers every day (not just on Mother's Day) and we can drink Margaritas every day (not just on Margarita Day) Carpe Diem Day will be a reminder to Seize Every Day!

Reasons I'm picking May 30th:

* That's the original Memorial Day (now we celebrate on the last Monday of the Month, but it originally was May 30th.) Memorial Day was for people who lost their lives at war, but Carpe Diem Day will be to remember those who have died (for whatever reason) and pay tribute to their memories.

* May 30th is especially relevant for me because it's the day my brother, Chris, died in a car accident in 1997 at the age of 35. Chris lived a very full life and at his funeral, many people noted that he lived more in those 35 years than most people live in a long life.

* It's usually beautiful weather at that time of year -- something that definitely contributes to a "Carpe Diem" mood!

* If you're the type of person that sets resolutions at New Year's, it's 5 months into the year to do a "check-in" and see how those are going or if there are other goals, resolutions, or bucket-list items you might want to make. Sort of a second "New Year's Day" type of feeling in time for the summer season!

* It's when I want to have a big party at my house in Colorado!

Catie said...

Happy Spectacular 60th Birthday tomorrow!! ������������♥️ dear friend!!
I’m always so inspired by your amazing commitment to living your dreams and following your ♥️ in life each day — and by all the joy you give and share with others. You truly live the carpe-diem life like no other!!!���� ��.
You’ll always be the inspiration to me to even live HALF that carpe-diem way of truly following ones heart and dreams every day. How fitting that you make Carpe Diem a National Holiday!
Wishing you the best birthday ever and many more exciting adventurous decades to come!! ♥️����

My Carpe Diem Life said...

Oh, "Catiedid," you always say the sweetest things! I'm inspired by YOU! Your music, your art, your travels, and your huge heart. I'm so grateful for all the beautiful memories I have with you over this past 60 weeks. Even when you've been in pain, you're always thinking of others. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend.

Rash said...

ThumbsUp