Thursday, April 02, 2020

Finding peace in a time of crisis


Since everyone started freaking out about the Corona virus, I've been somewhat manic about wanting to help. I've helped people throughout my career collaborate using online technologies. I also was an "Agile coach" which means I'm familiar with frameworks that help put some structure around dealing with change and uncertainty.  If there was any time that I have the skills to help people, it would be now.

And yet I feel helpless. Not because I'm stuck at home, but because the vastness of this crisis is so huge, involving everyone in the world. 

When I hear people predicting doom and gloom, I feel like "virtually screaming": CALM DOWN! but, yeah, I know...not helpful.  It's like when there's an email storm and people hit Reply All to say: "Stop hitting Reply All!" 

One step better is my "Super Carpe Diem Woman is HERE to SAVE the DAY!" attitude.



I've had so many ideas of how I can help, and I am making progress on some of them. Baby steps, but steps, just the same.

However, some of my ideas, when I really think about them, are quite ridiculous. For example, I thought I might create a Website to match people who want to help with those who can help. This would be like thinking I could swim across the ocean when I can barely swim a lap across a pool.

To my relief, I realize that organizations that are already set up to match up volunteers are adapting to take into account remote volunteers. Besides this long list of remote opportunities that my daughter-in-law put together, I found last night that Volunteer Match has added a COVID-19 feature with 70,898 virtual opportunities available!

So for now, I'm finding peace these ways:

  • Enjoying long talks with my housemate, Becky, and other friends on the phone or via Web chats
  • Finding routine
  • Enjoying the beautiful sunsets and sunrises here
  • Enjoying music
  • Snuggling with Becky's cute little doggie, Jack
  • Walking
  • Enjoying serenity
  • Blogging
  • Trying to help small businesses with their online presence
  • Helping people with Zoom
  • Enjoying the creative efforts that are being shared on social media
  • Learning Wordpress
  • Taking Zumba classes over Zoom... maybe this should be called Zoomba?
  • Having patience
  • Learning iMovie
  • Trusting in a higher power
I've realized I can't swim the ocean, but I can help myself and others stay afloat together (maybe in our flamingo inner tubes!) as we wait out the storm.

What brings you peace?

No comments: