Saturday, November 20, 2010

ALS-Afflicted Friend Gets Thanksgiving Surprise


Today I gave my friend, Craig, the Thanksgiving surprise I've been preparing for him for the past few weeks. Putting together the recording was easy and a wonderful experience for me because I got to hear from so many of Craig's friends and family members who shared memories and plenty of 'I love yous.'

I think I ended up recording about 40 people and the total length of the .mp3 file after concatenating all the files was 1 hour and 6 minutes. It was really moving to listen to this with Craig this afternoon and watch his eyes and smiles as each new person started to speak. At times he would close his eyes as if in prayer, just letting the voices sync into his mind and heart.

After we were through listening, I asked if I could video his response and you'll see that despite his lack of voice, his own 'I love yous' came out loud and clear.

Other posts about Craig:


Spreading Kindness and Love with a Recorded Call
Give the gift of love to someone for the holidays....
A different kind of love...
Requesting prayers rather than money this year
Accolades for Craig
No church for the disabled...
Book Club: ALS Victim inspires spirituality
My Love Party
ALS-Afflicted Friend, Craig, Inspires Love of God

3 comments:

Courtney said...

That is so absolutely wonderful. I know my Mom would have LOVED that! I appreciate you leaving a comment on my Mom's ALS Blog and the words you shared. It means so much. Thanks for your kind heart and loving gesture for your friend! I can see how much it meant to him (yep, I have tears on my cheeks).

Popo said...

What a fantastic gesture of love! I could see the impact it had on Craig just based on his changed expression and effort he put into giving his love back to all those who contributed. Anyone would be blessed to receive such a gift. I hope it brightens his season.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this! I have not been able to see much of Craig this year but the last time was at the Little Bear this Spring. He has always had such a wonderful spirit and enthusiasm for life. He has been an inspiration to us all. He will be missed so much. :(
God Bless.
Vicky