Sunday, February 06, 2011

Give:Love - Valentine's Cards for a Special Cause


This week on The Love Project we are talking about Love Notes. Even though the weekly assignment was to send a card for no reason, I know many of us are preparing for Valentine's Day so I wanted to tell you about a very special Valentine's effort: Project Give:Love.

Brainchild of Megan from sortacrunchy.net, she had her readers create downloadable Valentine's designs that can be used as Valentine's cards in support of love146.org, an organization that helps children who are entrapped in trafficking and slavery. She asks that if you use the downloadable cards that you consider sending a donation to love146.org, maybe from the savings of not buying cards. There's also an option to buy some Valentine postcards with the money going towards love146.org.

I'd been looking for "adult" Valentines that would be appropriate for me to send to friends and family and these were perfect! I can send a Valentine and make a donation to a good cause at the same time!

For those of us who are single, Valentine's Day can often be a time when we feel a little sad that we don't have someone special in our lives. It's easy to think, "I don't have anyone to send a card to..." Those are the times we should stop and remember Valentine's cards are not only for romance. (In fact those who are in romantic relationships often have the pressure of having to live up to some kind of unrealistic expectations on Valentine's Day.)

So, I hope on top of the Week6 assignment to send a "love note" to someone for no reason, you also all are preparing for Valentine's Day with anticipation of lovely cards to give and that you will consider spreading that love to love146.org, too!


Spread the Love

I'll be adding sortacrunchy and love146 to the Love Link List.

Are you a blogger? Leave me a comment or send me an email and I'll add your blog to the Love Link List, too. Check it out to find not just blogs, but sites and other projects designed to spread love.

Help me spread the word by cutting and pasting the following into your status:
Join The Love Project: http://bit.ly/aJWbG0 #love2011

2 comments:

rebecca @ altared spaces.com said...

I adore sending no-occasion cards. In fact, I'm far better at this than remembering birthdays. I like thanking the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker. OK, I've never thanked a candlestick maker. But I'm on the look out.

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

Yes, so important to remember that Valentine's is not just about romance. Around here, we have grand plans to make a slew of Valentine'c cards for Toddler's friends. These little items are about love and friendship above all else...