Sunday, April 11, 2021

Continuous Learning and Stellar Recap

Continuous Learning is another aspect of an Agile culture.  I guess one of the reasons I’m so ga-ga about Agile is because I LOVE learning.  (It's my top trait in the VIA Character Assessment).

As an example, when I was in first grade, I wanted to learn every word so I decided to read the dictionary. I didn’t get too far. I don’t think I even made it to page 2. I gave up on the encyclopedia, too.


I began to recognize that reading “everything” of anything (other than perhaps all the “Little House on the Prairie” books) was unrealistic. 


Even as an adult, I still wished for a way to somehow consume all the knowledge that one should know. I read the “Everything Your Child Should Know in X Grade” books (yet still miss most of the Jeopardy or Trivia Pursuit questions.) 


The thing is, even if I could have the magical ability to read and learn everything that was in existence today, there would be a million more pieces of (amateurish) content tomorrow. The Internet has allowed us to create a priceless jackpot of (questionable) content every single day!


Luckily, subscription services make it easy to have a morning inbox full of interesting, uplifting information from sources I trust! 


I realized it’s impossible to even know the tiniest fraction of “everything” of any one subject, no matter how niche, and it’s much more fun to be surprised by something new!


For example, rather than trying to learn every word in the dictionary, I instead can be surprised with a new word each day by subscribing to a word-of-the-day newsletter.


I immediately thought of my daughter-in-law, Stella, when I read the definition of Today’s word:


Sockdolager: An exceptional person or thing.



Like me, Stella also loves to learn. Every day she finds all kinds of interesting apps, articles, podcasts, and newsletters.


Unlike me, Stella, being the exceptional person she is, has been able to systematically compile this plethora of useful information into her own polished weekly newsletter, Stellar Recap!  If you read it, you'll see what an absolute sockdolager she is!


I have more I’d like to say about Stella’s newsletter, but I’ll save that for tomorrow. Tune in to find out about her “One Thing Project.” 


1 comment:

iStellar said...

I'm flattered that you thought of me when you read the definition of sockdolager! Thanks for introducing me to a new word and to a new app!