Sunday, April 18, 2021

Live Intentionally

 


What does it mean to you to be "intentional"?  To me, it means: Having a plan and staying focused on executing that plan.  But can our plan also include unscheduled time? Absolutely!  

My morning routine usually includes reading through the various newsletters that I subscribe to as I laze in bed.  On Sundays, in particular, I give myself "permission" to spend as much time as I want doing this! Eventually, I want to get up and have breakfast or I want to get out into the sunshine, but the idea is that I try not to let myself feel "guilty" for being "lazy."

This is hard for me, because I love being "productive."  I love checking off my Todo list-items feeling so on top of my life! That gives me a feeling of accomplishment and purpose.  If I'm spending hours doing something that's only for my own pure enjoyment, it feels "lazy."  That's why I say, "I give myself permission" to stay in bed and read.  

Obviously, as an adult, I don't need to literally give myself "permission" for anything! I can do whatever I want! Take that you overbearing, bossy alter-ego! I'll stay in bed all day, every day if I want to!

OK... back to you, readers.  Forgive my momentary lapse into Sybil-banter.

My point is that if you are a productivity-nut like me, to get around those feelings of guilt at not being ultra-productive, you might think about being intentional about down-time.  Even put it on your "todo" list if that helps.

And what drove me to deciding to write about intentional living today, you ask? An article titled "Dying in Style," about a woman who was intentional about the way she wanted to die.

I found the article very interesting.  There were a lot of points the author made about controlling our minds and not playing the victim, even in the midst of dying.  Her points about seeing the positive were quite similar to those I made a couple of days ago..  only she's facing death and I was only facing snowy weather.  Quite a difference.

The article ended with this note:

Note from Kim King, friend of Audrey Parker:

On November 1, 2018, Audrey Parker died peacefully in her own bed, holding hands with her mother and surrounded by close friends. She was serenaded by her favorite singer-songwriter strumming a guitar. She was an inspiration to thousands who followed her story, and she started a powerful conversation about living your best life and dying well. She makes me think: If Audrey could live intentionally while in pain and dying, how much more can the rest of us? Rest in peace, Audrey.

Exactly. This intentionality to live well in the midst of dying, is exactly how my friend, Craig Dunham, inspired me to start all my Carpe Diem efforts.

Let's live intentionally every day. It doesn't mean we need to "be productive" every moment. It doesn't mean we can't allow for spontaneity or changes to our plans. Be intentional about allowing for down-time, spontaneity, and the unexpected!

No comments: