Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Working on the Workbook for my Workshop



There's a lot of Work in today's Blog Post Title.  What does "work" mean anyway? Well, I sort of think of it as tasks I don't really want to do.

I've been blogging daily as a way to "prepare" for my upcoming workshop. However, I've been procrastinating about creating the workbook.  In my mind, Blogging = Not Work and Creating a Workbook = Work.

If I try to figure out why I've been procrastinating, I'd say it's because I haven't made a workbook on my own before.  I've taught a lot of classes and hosted a lot of workshops, but typically, someone else has prepared the materials including the workbook.  

In the cases where I have been involved, I may have done the content and someone else makes the fancy graphics or makes sure everything looks appealing and professional.  All the graphic stuff is usually done by someone else.

Not only do I not feel experienced at the artsy part of creating a workbook, but I don't even have access to Microsoft Office or any of the tools I had when I was working at a high-paying corporate job.  There are so many tools out there to make pretty documents, so making a workbook means researching what tool I'll use, learning how to use it, on top of writing the content! 

In Agile, which really promotes "people over technology," the purists push face-to-face interactive discussions over Webinars with Powerpoint Slides.  Agilists are all into colorful sticky notes and whiteboards.

Those are my favorite types of workshops, too, but..  Even if I just use it as a handout, I want to be professional, so I did throw together a workbook on Google Docs.  It looks like I was able to publish it to the Web, so, here goes!  Feel free to check it out and give me feedback!



No comments: