Saturday, May 22, 2021

Beauty and Aging: The Power of Friendships

 

My beautiful friend, Cathy

The other day, I started a series on Beauty and Aging.  When I searched for, "Beauty," in my Google Photos library, quite a few photos came up, including this one, of my friend, Cathy.

I agree that this is a beautiful picture of Cathy and she is such a beautiful friend.  You might find her sweet comments on some of my blog posts under the name, "Catie." She's the author of the poem and the talented artist of Spirit Home.  

She's also a seasoned musician and was the only one of my friends who responded when I put out the word about a musical performance that was being held during Covid for isolated seniors.  Here's a (very bad video quality) recording I made via Zoom of our practice session.  The funniest part is the "blooper" that happens in the first few seconds! 



Cathy and I are both part of a group called GGG for Girls Gathering Greatly.  I think there are 17 members of this group of dynamic women that has been meeting for many years.  All fully vaccinated, we had our first post-Covid gathering last week.  Cathy, who's out of town visiting family wasn't able to attend, but here's a picture of those of us who were able to make it:


By the way, this photo didn't make Google Photo's "Beauty" cut..  maybe because Cathy was missing? (I actually think it was because it was a group picture.)  
 
We are all women in our 50's, 60's, and 70's.  Sonja (third from the left, top row) started the group long ago and she and Cathy have been the two biggest connectors, inviting women friends who they think would be a good fit in the group to join over the years.  I believe it started when Sonja was going through a divorce and she invited other women who were going through transitions.  Though I think divorce may be a common thread, many of the women are now remarried or in serious romantic relationships.  Others of us are single or dating.   I actually met this group first over 10 years ago, because they invited me as a local author of The Laptop Dancer Diaries!

In my many years post divorce, I've noticed that often single friends will disappear once they're in a romantic relationship. Though friendships ebb and flow based on a lot of things, I appreciate that this group of women remains a supportive clan, regardless of whether or not they're in romantic relationships.

Over the years, we each have gone through transitions with health, jobs, family, boyfriends, and grief. Our monthly get togethers range between deep and intimate to frivolous and funny.  I really only have been able to participate regularly in the past few years (with one of those years being only virtual meetings) so I don't have the deep history that many of these women have with one another.

However, Cathy and I became close friends and I've gotten closer to Sonja and some of the others. I feel so lucky to be part of this lovely tribe.  Each brings unique gifts to the group and such wisdom and creativity.  

As I've been reading about healthy aging, I've found out that social connection is one of the biggest factors in happiness and mental health.  Having the GGG and friends like Cathy in my life make a huge difference in my sense of security and feeling like I have people to help and support me when I need it.  That's especially important for those of us who are single.  

These women are vivacious, bright, and independent.  Maybe one of the reasons why it's pretty easy for me to embrace my age is because I'm inspired by this group.  I know we will all continue to have our ups and downs, and I have peace in knowing that this group of women will be a life-long source of support and celebration.

1 comment:

Catie said...

Awww, thanks Yvette. I am very humbled and honored by all your comments about me in this post about Beauty and Aging. Not so sure I really live up to all that!
Btw, I wouldn’t really say I am a main connector as far as GGG goes. Sonja has been the guiding light for this group since it’s inception, and the main inviter of new folks to the group. You hadn’t quite joined yet, but I think we really started to grow and become a Monday monthly GGG gathering after her amazing weekly Brene Brown workshop she hosted for us all in 2014. It was after that that we decided to “gather greatly” every month and others were later invited like you, Susan,and Joy.
As you so eloquently expressed, it’s such a gift to have this amazing group of talented, wise and compassionate women to gather and celebrate with through all the joys, sorrows and challenges of life. πŸ™πŸŒΊπŸŒžπŸŒˆ♥️