Sunday, May 02, 2021

Celebrate - New Month's Eve Virtual Parties!

 


I know we're all suffering a bit of Zoom-fatigue these days, but one tradition I'd like to continue is my end-of-month virtual parties.

These have morphed into a shortish girl-friend get together where we share:

  • One good thing that happened in the month
  • One thing we're looking forward to in the next month
Since I like theme parties, I use the "Special Days" Websites to give me ideas about what the theme could be.  There are so MANY even for April 30th that it's hard to choose! And if you take into account themes for all of April, you add over 100 more things to celebrate!

Lee suggested going with National Poetry Month as our theme, which worked out perfectly for me since one good thing that happened in April for me was to receive this poem from Cathy, who would be at the party, so it was just right to share with the group.  Lee also shared an inspiring poem from her late husband. April was also National Gardening Month so my sister, Michele shared photos from her beautiful garden.  Some of us wore Straw Hats in honor of National Straw Hat Month.  And some of us (Becky) shared with no need for a theme!

As part of my personal Agile practice, I keep a running list (via a Trello Board) of "good things" and "not-so-good things" that I review at the end of each month.  I also review the photos that are on my camera roll and add some of my favorites to the Trello Board.  It always gives me such a positive feeling to remember all the happy things that happened.  I can also learn from the "not-so-good things" (of which there are always far fewer).

During this private little ritual, I also plan my goals for the next month, making sure I have activities or events to look forward to.

My own practice of reviewing the past month and planning for the upcoming month is done by myself. I love it, but of course, I prefer having someone to share happy feelings with.

Having this very informal little get together is fun because, not only do I get to share, I get to see what my girlfriends have been up to and what they're looking forward to.

Whether you do it by yourself or with friends or family, though, I highly recommend celebrating! Celebrate all those little things throughout the month that make you smile. Celebrate things you did, even if they didn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped. Celebrate special days or unusual days. Celebrate accomplishing a goal or making a decision. Celebrate friends. Celebrate yourself. Celebrate life!

No comments: