Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Arriving in Playa del Carmen

 I made it to Mexico! My biggest agenda item while I'm out here: Get out of the cold!  I have a couple of other objectives..  I want to improve my Spanish, enjoy the beach, and assess whether or not this might be a future snowbird destination.

The location of the Airbnb I'm staying at is primo! Right on the corner of the famed 5th Avenue with restaurants and shops galore.  It's also only about a 5 minute walk to the beach, so I plan to enjoy both the beach and 5th Avenue every day that I'm out here.

Today, my goal was to get settled into my Airbnb and stock the kitchen with some groceries. I'm really proud that I took the bus and then figured out how to find my Airbnb. I also walked to the grocery store, stocked the 'fridge with breakfast food for the week and then had an empanada for dinner at a little cafe a block away.




The empanada was only $40 MXN which is about $2 USD! Groceries, as well, were cheaper than the US.

Though it may not seem like I've done much today, getting settled in a new place is usually a big challenge for me..   even in the US! I'm extremely directionally challenged! It's pretty miraculous that I haven't had any problems today.

Almost everywhere I go, I speak a little Spanish, either to ask a question or double-check that I'm doing the right thing. And I've been able to understand the answers! I see a definite improvement in my Spanish compared to the last time I was here.

What worked well today:

  • Direct flight from Denver to Cancun - Less than $250 RT and on time flight
  • Even going through customs was much faster than usual!
  • Comfortable ADO bus easy to catch from Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen for about $10 USD
  • Beautiful Airbnb walking distance to beach and 5th Avenue
  • Was able to walk to a local Walmart and pick up groceries for breakfasts
  • Found cute Cafe Corazon for yummy inexpensive dinner
  • Warm weather! High's in the 80's, Lows in the 70's
  • I didn't get lost!
  • People talked to me in Spanish and I kind of understood them!
  • Violin music right outside the condo.
  • Beautiful view from rooftop!



What could have been better:

  • Walmart was possibly the most crowded, loudest grocery store I've ever been in.
  • Violin music right outside the condo and it's after 10pm...  Not sure how long it will go on!

1 comment:

Todd Treichler said...

Muy bien mi amiga. Viva tu vacation. Chao, Todd in MN