Monday, November 08, 2021

Reasons to be Happy


I'm still coughing and sneezing, and in the time of Corona, that is not a popular thing to be doing, so tonight is another night of laying low.  

Today, Facebook sent me reminders of memories with two friends..  one with my beautiful and sweet friend, Sherrie from elementary school, who died last year from cancer..  the other was a memory with my friend, Steph, who died from ALS a couple of years ago. 

These reminders that death is imminent, maybe should motivate me to "Seize the Day" but this morning, it just made me more depressed. Will my future just be full of grief, pain, illness, and loneliness? 

Oh dear.

This is NOT the mindset I should be having while I'm on vacation in Playa del Carmen! 

But as the day progressed, there were things that happened that kept me from spiraling too far down that pitiful rabbit hole.

* Calls and texts from Rebecca, Michele, Jim, Michael, and Becky.  Both Michael and Becky had read my whines from yesterday's blog, and wanted to check in.  That really means a lot.  Being single, one of my biggest pity-party mindsets is: "No one will really care or even know if I'm sick or sad."  Getting calls and texts from people I care about is the best anti-depressant I could ask for.

* Getting at least 10,000 steps, every day, sick or not. Getting outside and enjoying this beautiful weather definitely helps improve my mood!

* Searching for things I could take pictures of to 'seize this day.' What would make it memorable and happy?  

How about:



A sign saying "There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy"!



A wishing tree!

A big purple chair wearing my new purple hat

* Taking a Spanish class.  Actually, this Spanish class was a good diversion this morning, but it was too basic. (The majority of the students were brand new to Spanish).  The school offered me either a refund or a private tutor for 2 hours a day for the rest of the week.


My Spanish Class


Becky's sage advice for tonight was to get some good cold drugs and ear plugs to hopefully help me sleep through the night.  I'm going to run out now to get my drugs (after all, buying drugs in Mexico should be on everyone's bucket list, right?).  (Jim suggested tequila.)

Here's to gratitude for friends and family and to sweet, happy dreams!

 

No comments: