Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Preparing for Thanksgiving

 

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving! Scotty's taking the red eye from Ohio and arrives bright and early tomorrow morning, so I need to get some sleep!

I've always been a bit of a traditionalist. Thanksgiving is about family togetherness, eating, laughing, playing games, and gratitude.

However, Thanksgiving has gotten progressively untraditional over the years.  My kids are grown and two of them are married with in-laws..  my grandkids have 7 different grandparents! So for them, trying to see everyone can be stressful. And now with Covid still being a "thing," we are not even considering a great big combined Thanksgiving family get together as we've tried in the past.

I am going to see all my kids and grandkids, though, even if it won't be all together at a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. We have some different family events planned for the week that Scotty's in town, so rather than one dinner, I'll have a whole fun week of celebrating!

To be honest, none of my kids are big turkey people. Even on many of the years we have been together, they've preferred to experiment with some other main course, like goose, or salmon.  Come to think of it, my kids are sort of the opposite of traditionalists. They like to do things differently from year to year. And they are always trying new things. They set a good example for me and I've become more adaptable myself over time.

Even though Scotty and I won't be having a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, I have been preparing by making some of the dishes that I know he loves..  crab quiche, tuna fish casserole, roasted sweet potatoes, and salmon! And I just read this morning, that the first Thanksgiving probably had a lot of seafood..  so we probably are being much more authentic with our very fishy menu!

So, yeah, we won't be having a huge turkey and cranberry sauce family dinner tomorrow, but if all goes the way I'm hoping, the week will be full of all the parts of Thanksgiving that I value most: family togetherness, eating, laughing, playing games, and gratitude.

No comments: