Monday, November 15, 2021

Checking into Vidanta Mayan Palace

 Today I moved from the cozy condo in the heart of 5th Avenue to a swanky resort in Playa del Carmen called the Mayan Palace.

I was already maybe an 8 on a scale of 1-10 of being in a touristy location. Now I'm a 10. This is a huge resort and, of course, everyone who is here, is vacationing, so not exactly a "local vibe." Still, it's beautiful and relaxing, and I'm looking forward to the lush surroundings.

About a year and a half ago, my friend, Nancie, asked if I'd want to share a room with her here. She'd found a good deal on VacationClix, so, of course, I accepted. Mexico in winter? Count me in!  We thought for sure Covid would be a thing of the past. Unfortunately, it is not. Fortunately, our trip didn't get cancelled, but there are some restrictions as far as masks indoors, etc. We also have to take a PCR test to get back into the states, but that's fine.  Really, other than wearing masks, I don't notice much of a difference from other vacations. 

I bought myself a pretty purple mask today and a pretty purple sun-dress on 5th Avenue along with a few souvenirs, had a final lunch at the cheap taqueria near my condo along with the daily Haagen-dazs ice  cream that I've been indulging in lately.

After lunch, I caught a taxi and arrived about 25 minutes later to the resort. From there, there was a shuttle to the lobby of the Mayan Palace. The grounds here are full of walking paths, a golf course, several swimming pools, restaurants, and, of course, the beach.  I won't have any trouble getting in 10,000+ steps each day exploring (and inevitably getting lost).





I did a quick little tour of the grounds and now waiting for Nancie to arrive. The days have been overcast and rainy lately, but still warm (at least compared to Colorado!)

I've gotten caught in two massive downpours, though, and my shoes are starting to stink! The clothes and bathing suits that have gotten wet never seem to dry..   As wonderful as it is to "live" right by the beach, I guess it does have its downsides.

I'd originally planned to meet with a realtor out here who was going to show me a condo that was walking distance to the beach. I told her I wanted to see what I could get for $200K and this one was $195K.

 However,  I decided to rule out Playa del Carmen as a place to buy property.  The culture really is much more of a younger, party crowd.  I love that there's a lot of diversity and people from all over the world, but most of them are vacationing, so it would be tough, I think, to foster any long-term friendships or relationships.

Still, I could see continuing a traditional vacation to Mexico every year!

No comments: