Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Happiness Happens: 1:1 Birthday Celebration With Diego

One of the things I discovered from my 60-until-60 project is that I love 1:1 celebrations! It's so much easier to give my full attention and "be present" when there are not a lot of other people around.

Today I had my special 1:1 celebration with my grandson, Diego, who recently turned 12.  We had lunch at the mall, went shopping at "It's Your Move" - a game store that Diego loved, went to an escape room - Puzzah (we escaped with 15 seconds to spare!), had our pictures taken in a photo booth, and topped it off with delicious dessert from Cinnabon! 

I always ask lots of questions during these celebrations...  I have my little "Carpe Diem" book that I use to record the latest and greatest interests of the guest of honor. I asked Diego all about his friends and hobbies and what he's been up to lately.  I haven't seen him nearly as much as I used to, both because of Covid and because he's just older with a very busy life!

One thing that Diego did that really impressed me is something that even most adults don't do.  He asked about me!

Since the celebration and day is all about him, I certainly didn't expect him to ask about me, but the fact that he did meant a lot to me.  I thought it was so mature and thoughtful of my sweet grandson to ask what was new in my life, too.

I remember my own father remarking about how nice it was to see the maturity in his grandchildren as they grew into young adults.  I got a touch of that today.  I marvel at how quickly the time is passing and that even my grandchildren aren't little kids any more.

Today I'm grateful for my grandson, Diego, and that I've lived close enough to him to get to see him grow from an infant to the mature 12-year-old boy he is today.







No comments: