Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Happiness Happens: Getting a Colonoscopy

 

Even though getting a colonoscopy isn't exactly something I look forward to, I'm very grateful that we live in an age where doctors can detect colon cancer early or prevent it altogether.

My Dad had colon cancer, so I'm at a higher risk.  However, my Dad never got a colonoscopy (until it was too late) or really did well-checks of any kind.  That was just the way he was.  He died in 2010 at the age of 75, but if he'd had regular check ups, he'd probably still be alive today.

This month I've been doing all my routine health check ups. I especially was not thrilled with the "prep" part of the colonoscopy.  But if I think about it, it's not that different from a high-priced spa cleanse and the procedure itself is no big deal.  

The doctor did find and remove a couple of polyps. They still have to do some lab work to find out if they were pre-cancerous, but..  whatever they were, they're now out, so I don't have to worry about suffering from colon cancer myself.

Today I'm grateful for the advancements in medicine and that I have the ability to keep my colon clean!

No comments: