Monday, August 30, 2021

Happiness Happens: Uke Jamming at Superior Community Center

 

I've wanted to learn how to play the ukulele for awhile now. My friend, Cathy, is one of the musicians who played at yesterday's performance and she's been super generous about teaching me the basics and even loaning me one of her ukuleles.

When I saw that the new Superior Community Center (that's only a 10 minute walk from my house) had free Ukulele Jam sessions on Monday nights, I asked Cathy if she'd want to go, and she accepted the invitation.

I was a little timid about joining in, seeing as I'd had the equivalent of one lesson with no practicing, but the group was welcoming and it turns out I was able to strum those C chords like a pro!


Even though I know I have a long way to go before I'm able to play well, I had fun singing and playing with the group.  It's pretty easy to blend in with a big group and only play the single-finger chords.  And, just like yesterday, I realize that music is a huge mood booster!  How fun to be part of making that music!

No comments: