Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Happiness Happens: Resolving Home Maintenance Annoyances

 



I'm not exactly a "handyman."  I'm a software geek and love fixing techie problems, but when it comes to house maintenance, I'm useless.  Of course, there are YouTube videos that can help, but when my washer broke this week, I decided to leave it to the experts.

For about the past 5 years, I've been using American Home Shield, an appliance warranty company.  Basically, I pay a monthly bill and choose all the appliances that I want to have covered, like washer, dryer, microwave, refrigerator, heater, etc.  

Even though the vast majority of months go by without me needing any service, when I do need service, like this week when my washer broke, it's extremely convenient!

I don't need to shop around for a repair person..  I can simply put in a service request, and then, Voila! An appointment gets made and a service person comes out and fixes my washer!

Today (just in time for my next Airbnb guest) my washer was fixed and I'm back in business!


On Monday, while I was out hiking with David ( a former Airbnb guest),  Ellen (the current Airbnb guest) texted me to let me know the shower door had fallen off its track while she was showering!

Oh dear! That could have been disastrous! Luckily, the door didn't break and, more importantly, Ellen wasn't hurt.

David offered to come take a look at it with me, and he immediately knew exactly how to fix it! The piece of hardware that holds the door in place had fallen off and it just needed to be glued back in place.  He helped me with getting it fixed and, once again, problem solved!



The third problem I had this week were that fruit flies were swarming in my kitchen! As you can imagine, this was not exactly creating a happiness boost for anyone.

A quick google search revealed an easy DIY solution: apple cider vinegar and dish soap, both of which I had on hand.

I started by disposing of any fruit and then I just let my little trap do its thing.

So there you have it! Three home maintenance annoyances all resolved quickly, thanks to American Home Shield, a friend, and Google!

Maybe I'm not too handy, but it does make me happy when I'm able to get these annoying problems solved quickly!

No comments: